Tuesday, May 24, 2011

God's presence

Have you ever been so sure that God is leading you through something? I mean, that you can feel Him guiding you through a conversation or decision so vividly? In my devotions, I'm reading, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. Yesterday, she wrote: Approach each new day with desire to find Me. Before you get out of bed, I have already been working to prepare the path that will get you through this day. There are hidden treasures strategically placed along the way. Some of the treasures are trials designed to shake you free from earth-shackles. Others are blessings that reveal My Presence: sunshine, flowers, birds, friendships, answered prayer. I have not abandoned this sin-wracked world; I am still richly present in it. Search for deep treasure as you go through this day. You will find Me all along the way.

Wow. So now I'm on the lookout for God's treasures. Today while ordering lunch at a deli, a sweet woman and I chatted over the potato chip selection. Crazy detail to tell you about but it's true - and adds the realness to this whole story. We continued talking, me explaining to her where we're from and why we are here. She had parked next to us and I noticed a Christian fish on her car. So I unassumedly asked her where she goes to church. She timidly stammered around and said she didn't have a church, that she and her husband, well, she stopped and started the conversation over and over. Jeff had joined me by this time and we said that it was hard to find a place where you both felt at home. I guess we were trying to help her not feel so bad. Jeff invited her to visit the church he is working at, to which she promptly wrote down the address and information about it. With tears in her eyes, she told us that she owns a shop and had taken a day off today, which was rare. She had many things she should be doing, she said, but she knew that this meeting was God's plan for her today. My treasure today. God was there in our midst, leading, guiding, encouraging. We took down each other's phone numbers and I am sure we will be in contact.

Sometimes we read books, take classes, watch videos on how to - how to attract others to Christ, how to evangelize, how to... Maybe we work too hard at it. Maybe it is a God appointment and we need to be on the lookout and pray for God's appointment. I am in awe of His treasure in the midst of an ordinary lunch. Do it again, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment