Monday, January 25, 2010

Pink Boaville!

As I start writing this blog, my mind is so busy and full of excitement still from the Siesta Scripture Memory Team weekend, I can hardly slow my brain down! It was truly a highlight of my spiritual walk. Honestly. To meet so many beautiful, Godly women who share a love of God's word was amazing. As women, most of us have gone to retreats or conferences, so being in a large gathering of women wasn't a new experience. But women who love God so much that they commit to memorizing 24 scriptures for a year! Everywhere I looked, there were women hugging, greeting one another in fellowship, sharing their travel stories, and just making new friends. Most of us went either alone or with someone we hooked up through the blog to travel with. And I would venture to say that for most of us, that was a new experience. My roomate was a sweet-spirited woman whose love for God was infectious. We shared stories about our families and our church - our nervousness about saying our scriptures right - and we bonded on a level that some women who sit in church pews for years never get to. Isn't that amazing? It is God at work. Two women who love Him who are willing to go to the depths to get to know Him better and His word - and He in turn blesses us with new friendships and experiences. When I signed up in January, I signed up for me - for my heart to store His word. It was my time for a challenge. But the LPM staff blessed us for our obedience by throwing us the biggest celebration imaginable - and what a time we had. The teaching from Psalm 119 touched my heart in so many ways. The worship with Travis and 507 voices was incredible. I could go on and on. The pink boas were spotted everywhere, in airports, in hotels, in restaurants - I would say we did a good job of "spreading everywhere the fragrance (and feathers) of the knowledge of Him." There will probably be pink boa feathers in Houston for months to come! My daughters were so shocked at how out of my comfort zone I went to attend. They even were worried about me connecting with a woman I met on the blog to travel with (who is truly a beautiful new friend). They nicknamed her my BMBFF (Beth Moore best friend forever)!

How much I would have missed if I let my fear of flying or the many areas out of my comfort zone that there were, hold me back from attending. And I wondered today - how many other times have I missed God's greatest blessing by stopping short of allowing Him to carry me through to get to Him? I hope I always have pink boa moments to carry me on this journey!

And although I'm a midwesterner, I have to begin saying "y'all" - I think it is contagious after spending the time in Houston with all of those southern Siestas!

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Vicki! I'm Marla. I saw your link on the LPM blog and hopped over. I love this post! Wasn't it just like God kept whispering in your ear, "I love you. I love you. I love you."

    I flew to Houston from Columbus, OH. Are you close?? We drove to Texas for the first time last April, and I said y'all for quite awhile after that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla -
    I actually live in Fort Wayne, IN, I think about 3 hours from Columbus. We have family and dear friends in Columbus! Oh, and my hubby went to OSU!

    Yes, it was like God said, "I love you" to me over and over again. The commissioning we had at the end of the conference just made me feel as though I was covered to go out in His name and go forth! It was so wonderful - I didn't want it to end. Pink boas and all!

    Good to "meet" you - sorry I didn't meet you this weekend! Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marla,
    I clicked to follow your blog, but the Friend Connect is busy doing maintnance right now. I will be back.
    I had such a wonderful weekend, too!
    Thank you for your post.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this post a lot. I was there, but I havent' been able to collect my thoughts enough to post yet.
    really amazing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vicki, thank you for being that 'smile' that said hello on Friday and being my scripture partner for our memory verses. You did a great job and I have to agree with you about the weekend. I walked away with a feeling of peace and a heart full of our awesome God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bobbie -
    It was so great to share our verses together. I can't wait to see how your pictures turn out. Sounds like you went to church there Sunday too. How cool!

    Hope you can get some pictures on your walls and decorate! It was fun to share in the places in life where we are! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this recap! What a weird, wonderful weekend! We should make it an annual event!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so proud of you Mom. You have always been a wonderful and Godly example for me to follow. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vicki - I found you from the LPM link - I am so glad I did - The weekend in Psalm 119 was powerful and I am glad to "know" you and have shared that experience with you! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love your thoughts... it hadn't hit me... that although we did this for us to come closer to God... He blessed us at the celebration with each other. Sweet!

    I went out of my comfort zone, too... but I'm realizing that my comfort zone has gotten a lot bigger now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vicki,

    It was a privilege to be able to spend the weekend with you and Becky. I feel as if God just gave me two brand-new friends for life. I will always thank God for allowing me to spend this precious time with my Siesta's.

    RaeLeen
    (your Hoosier Siesta)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Vicki miss seeing everyone already from our SMT celebration. Wish there was more time to meet everyone. Really enjoyed reading your post. What an amazing weekend!!
    (((hugs)) Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you're wonderful and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so wanted to be at the Siesta event but we had planned a family vacation for the same week. I have loved reading all your posts. I loved your testimony

    ReplyDelete